Wednesday 25 March 2009

Mother Glasgow

Although born and brought up in Dundee I’ve always felt at home in Glasgow. I’ve now spent more of my life – 21 years - in Glasgow than my home toon. The people, the spirit, the history.

Glasgow’s a fantastic place to live, work and raise a family. Indeed my late Mother loved her trips to Glasgow so much so no further evidence is needed in my book.

In many ways Dundee and Glasgow are very similar: a network of tough working class communities with a sharp sense of humour and a no nonsense approach to life. My gravitation to Govan and Red Clydeside was fate. Where else could someone like me fit in?

Govanites have a tremendous sense of history. Many will tell you the worst thing that ever happened was when we allowed Glasgow to join Govan in 1912! In the heady days of shipbuilding Clyde-built ships were a world class sight to behold – they still are. The independent burgh of Govan was Scotland’s economic powerhouse then.

But times change and new challenges present. But the heart of the people, the communities, remains as strong. Which makes me all the more determined to root out those who would undermine and destroy that spirit.

Over in Govanhill a small number of organised criminals from Eastern Europe – and I am sad to say – a small number of unscrupulous local property owners – are conspiring to exploit vulnerable migrant workers who have come to Glasgow to make a decent life. In the past Glasgow has embraced many immigrant communities: Irish, Jewish, and Asian.

My colleagues at Govanhill Law Centre are already uncovering and challenging some shocking frauds. From the regular theft of workers wages to scams where a con-artist breaks into a vacant flat and falsely lets it out to a Slovakian family for cash up front – only for that poor family to be booted out by the real owner.

And then there are the living conditions – substandard slum housing, health hazards, no water, no heating, overcrowding, rat and coach roach infestations. Yet slum landlords are charging £600 per month for these hell holes. Such exploitation has knock-on effects for neighbours and undermines the wellbeing of the community.

Govanhill Law Centre has now obtained an excellent opinion from Roy Martin Q.C. on the use of Compulsory Purchase Order powers to alleviate substandard private housing in Govanhill. Working closely with Govanhill Housing Association and the local community we are hopeful that some of the problems facing Govanhill can be overcome.

We have the privilege of providing independent assistance to the Leader of Glasgow City Council, Cllr Steven Purcell, on this issue. Cllr Purcell has made a personal commitment to work with the local community to tackle these problems and Glasgow City Council is already putting an extra £3m into private sector housing in Govanhill from next month.

Ultimately, we need the Scottish Government to put up some cash too – but there is great hope, and much to fight for.

2 comments:

  1. I remember climbing that horse to place the cone there in 1987, when I worked for Mayfest, and our offies were in the basement of the Stirling. One of my colleagues and I had worked til 2am, refreshed ourselvs with her tipple - Irish Whisky - and she kept look out for the polis whlst I scaled the cuddy. She gave me a leg up - she was 6ft tall - but fell asleep while I was up there, so I had to slither down. I still have a small scar on my hand to remind me of my misspent youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fell asleep! I love that. Now that's a proper rock n'roll story Mary.

    ReplyDelete